In early April 2016, OLUOL made it's first trip to Haiti. Here're the highlights:
- Kervens received two new legs, one for walking (with a knee) and one for running (a pylon with a blade foot).
- Mikerline had casts made for arms to be fabricated in the U.S. (Unfortunately, the plaster molds weren't setting in Haiti.)
- Luciano and Woodline (who have shoulder disarticulations) both had casts made for prosthetic arms.
- Six other amputees' prostheses were repaired and ten other amputees were evaluated by the team. These patients were walk-ins!
- We validated our relationship/process with Bernard Mevs Hospital and strengthened relationships in Haiti, allowing for ongoing support!
- Read more complete reports from Christy and Jess!
OLUOL completed our second trip to Haiti in August 2016! Here's a quick summary of the trip:
- 22 Total patients (10 planned, 12 walk-in)
- 5 Complete legs built and presented
- 10 Arms built and presented (including Woodline & Luciano's)
- 10 Prostheses repaired or had new parts or sockets installed
- 2 Scoliosis braces built and presented
- 12 Prostheses repaired and/or adjusted
- Physical and Occupational therapy provided to amputees
Our June 2017 trip was fantastic! Thanks for the prayers and support! As always, here're the highlights:
- 22 Total patients seen
- 13 New legs built and presented!
- 5 Legs repaired / adjusted
- 2 Arms repaired / adjusted
- Gait training with 11 patients
- Running training with 3 patients
- Physical Therapy with 7 patients
- Parallel bars (for walking training) built
- Visited Project Stitch
Read even more about our trip here on the blog!
In May 2018 OLUOL made it's first trip to the new location, Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti, where we partnered with St. Boniface Hospital! It was a great trip, we were warmly welcomed by the St. Boniface team, got established, and hit the ground running! Visit St. Boniface's website here to read a little bit about our new partnership!
The team knocked out a productive trip to Fond des Blancs, Haiti in Novemeber 2018! Here are some highlights:
- 9 new limbs (6 above the knee, 2 below the knee, 1 arm)
- 5 major limb repairs
- 1 new running leg and running training
- 3 patients referred to Pierre Guy at Tous Asam
- Daily physiotherapy and gait training for all amputees
- 15 physiotherapy sessions for hospital staff other than amputees
As always, glory to God and thank you for your continued support and prayers!
Visit and read the SBHF article about a special young man, Jamesly and his first steps!
Between the security situation and COVID-19 travel restrictions, OLUOL has been unable to send teams to Haiti. However, OLUOL has partnered with local Haitian Prosthetist, Edelyn Estemphill, to continue assisting amputees in receiving care and support. Edelyn owns her own prosthetic lab, Haiti Reh-Care, located just outside of Port-au-Prince, and has continued to keep the doors open for most of 2022, despite the security situation.
In 2022, Edelyn and Haiti Reh-Care gave OLUOL's youngest and longest patient, Sarafina, a new prosthesis (she's growing so fast). We first saw Sarafina when she was only 1 year old and now is 6! OLUOL also funded 9 other new amputees to receive full prostheses through Edelyne and Haiti Reh-Care. Four of those patients were above-the-knee amputees, four were below-the-knee, and one was a knee disarticulation.